ZERO emission project
Wallenius Marine strive to eliminate emissions from shipping and we have a roadmap for it. The roadmap is focusing on energy consumption, energy carriers and emissions to the atmosphere, and shows that with today’s technology it is already possible to build completely emission free vessels.
However, it is clear that an emission free ship only can be realized through a combination of things, and it is not only about technology. Some conclusions from the roadmap:
- In order to reduce the energy consumption, the ships must be operated in another way than today (lower speed, routes optimized for best wind, most sun, etc.).
- Only emission free or emission neutral energy sources can be used as fuel (biofuels).
- Wind- and solar power must be utilized to a great extent.
- New technology must be implemented in a number of areas.
- Current ship design requirements and constraints must be reviewed, for example speed and limitations on size.
We are continuously evaluating new technology and R&D of interest for the emission free vessels. At the same time, we are developing concepts in order to demonstrate the feasibility of new technology and ideas.